Have you ever heard a strange gurgling sound coming from your drain? If so, you might be wondering what causes it and how to fix it. In this blog post, we will explain why drains gurgle, what it means for your plumbing system, and what you can do to solve the problem.
Gurgling Drains – Why It’s Happening
Drains gurgle when air is trapped in the pipes and tries to escape through the drain opening. This can happen for several reasons, such as:
– Blocked drain line: A clog in the drain line can prevent water from flowing smoothly and create air pockets around it. The gurgling sound is the result of air bubbles being forced up along with water through the pipe. You can locate the clog by checking which drains are gurgling. If only one drain is affected, the clog is likely in that drain line. If multiple drains are gurgling, the clog is probably in the main sewer line.
– Clogged vent system: All plumbing fixtures are connected to a vent system that allows air to enter and exit the pipes without affecting the water flow. The vent pipes are usually located on the roof or on the exterior walls of your house. Sometimes, these pipes can get blocked by debris, animals, or ice, preventing air from escaping the sewer line. As a result, air gets trapped in the pipes and causes gurgling sounds when water drains.
– Damaged P-trap: A P-trap is a curved section of pipe under your sink that traps water and prevents sewer gases from entering your home. If the P-trap is cracked, broken, or dry, it can allow air to enter the drain line and create gurgling noises.
How to Fix Gurgling Drains
Depending on the cause of the gurgling, you may be able to fix it yourself or you may need to call a professional plumber. Here are some possible solutions for gurgling drains:
– Clear the blockage: If the gurgling is due to a clogged drain, use a plunger or a drain snake to clear the blockage. Regularly cleaning sink drains can prevent future gurgling issues.
– Check vent pipes: Inspect the vent pipes on your roof or exterior walls. Look for any signs of damage, obstruction, or nesting animals. If you find any problems, clear them out or call a plumber to repair them.
– Repair or replace P-trap: Check the P-trap under your sink for any cracks, leaks, or corrosion. If you find any damage, replace the P-trap with a new one. Also, make sure to keep some water in the P-trap at all times to prevent air from entering the drain line.
– Call a licensed plumber: If none of the above solutions work, or if you suspect a serious problem with your sewer line or plumbing system, call a licensed plumber like Get Unblocked www.getunblocked.com.au. They have the expertise and equipment to diagnose and fix any gurgling drain issue.
Gurgling drains are not only annoying but also potentially harmful to your plumbing system. They indicate that there is something wrong with your pipes that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. By following these tips, you can troubleshoot and fix gurgling drains yourself or with the help of a professional plumber.
If you have a blocked drain in Sydney, you don’t have to worry or stress about it. You can simply call Get Unblocked at 1300311511 and let them take care of it for you. Get Unblocked is a trusted and reputable plumbing service that uses the latest tools and technology to unblock your drain quickly and effectively. Whether you need hydro jetting, CCTV camera inspection, or drain repairs, Get Unblocked can do it all for you at an affordable price. Get Unblocked is a family-owned and operated business that has been serving the Sydney area for over 20 year Don’t let a blocked drain ruin your day. Contact Get Unblocked today and get your drain flowing again.